Barbara's Simple Cake
This frugal cake does not have a long list of ingredients and most of the items you will already have in your store cupboard.
Oven Preheat: 160⁰C / Gas Mark 3
- 8oz Self Raising Flour
- 4oz Margarine
- 4oz Sugar
- 1 Egg
- Extras ( Cherries/ Sultanas/ Nuts/ Chocolate Chips etc.)
Ingredients for chocolate buttercream
- 3oz Butter/ margarine
- 3oz Icing sugar
- 1oz Drinking chocolate/cocoa
- 1tsp Vanilla Essence
- Rub together flour and margarine, then add sugar
- Add extras as chosen from list above
- Add egg and enough milk to make mixture slightly stiff
- Place in a lined cake tin
- Bake for 50 minutes until cooked through
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
There are numerous variations of what you can do for decoration on this simple cake. Here we have done a basic icing design with some wafer daises. However you could try some buttercream (ingredients above)
When icing the cake stand the rack on greaseproof paper so that when the icing drips down it falls onto the paper and then you can throw it away, eliminating any mess.