Lime and Banana Cake
This recipe contains no margarine so you can eat it and not
feel guilty, what’s more it has a lovely fresh taste perfect for a summer
Low Fat Recipe
Oven Preheat - 180⁰C / Gas Mark 4
- 300g / 10 ½ oz Plain Flour
- 1tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 175g / 6oz Light Brown Sugar
- 1tsp Lime Rind (Grated)
- 1 x Medium Banana
- 1tbsp Lime Juice
- 150ml / 5floz Low Fat Natural Fromage-Frais
- 115g / 4oz Sultanas
- 1 x Medium Egg (Beaten)
Ingredients for Decoration
- 115g / 4oz Icing Sugar
- 2tsp Lime Juice
- 1tsp Lime Rind (Finely Grated)
- Dried Banana Chips (OPTIONAL)
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C / Gas Mark 4
- Grease and Line a round cake tin ( 18cm/ 7” Round) with greaseproof paper
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl and then mix in the sugar and 1tsp of the grated lime rind.
- In a separate bowl mash the banana with 1tbsp of lime juice. Then add the beaten egg, fromage frais and sultanas. Lightly mix together.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the banana mixture. Mix until well combined with a wooden spoon.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes in the centre of the oven until a knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 10 mins then remove from cake tin and leave to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- For the decoration, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and mix with the 2 tsp of lime juice to make a soft icing to drizzle over the cake. Then sprinkle on the 1tsp of grated lime rind and dried banana chips (if using)
- Let stand until the icing sets, then enjoy with a nice cup of tea for you and a banana milkshake for the kids.